Thursday, October 30, 2014

To all our word wizards out there!!  Let's discover the amazing world of Palindromes!!

Palindrome: a word, phrase, number, or other sequence of symbols or elements, whose meaning may be interpreted the same way in either forward or reverse direction. Famous examples include Amore, Roma“, “A man, a plan, a canal: Panama” and “No ‘x’ in ‘Nixon’“.

Composing literature in palindromes is an example of constrained writing.
FUN FACT: The word “palindrome” was coined from the Greek roots palin (“again”) and dromos (“way, direction”) by the English writer Ben Jonson in the 17th century.

CHALLEGE: Can you can come up with a sentence that is a palindrome.
For example: Was It A Cat I Saw?

Bragging rights for the most creative and intriguing palindrome!

7 comments:

  1. "Elk rap song? No sparkle"
    If you are wondering where I'm getting all these, it's from a book I read about a year ago

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Tangy gnat"
    (Reminds me of some of the strange street food I had in Cambodia).

    ReplyDelete
  3. A man, a car, a maraca
    bird rib
    I remember these from a book in which every sentence rhymed. It was basically a very long poem that told a story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "No, Miss, it is Simon."

    I read a book which had a section on palindromes once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. do geese see god
    I madam, mad am I
    Was it a bat I saw
    stop Spots!

    ReplyDelete