Wednesday, November 5, 2014

BRING ON YOUR HAIKU!

Haiku poems date from 9th century Japan to the present day. Haiku is more than a type of poem; it is a way of looking at the physical world and seeing something deeper, like the very nature of existence.
A haiku poem consists of three lines, with the first and last line having 5 moras, and the middle line having 7. A mora is a sound unit, much like a syllable, but is not identical to it. Since the moras do not translate well into English, it has been adapted and syllables are used as moras.  

FUN FACT: Haiku started out as a popular activity during the 9th to 12th centuries in Japan called “tanka.” It was a progressive poem, where one person would write the first three lines with a 5-7-5 structure, and the next person would add to it a section with a 7-7 structure. 

FUN FACT #2: The three masters of “hokku” from the 17th century were Basho, Issa, and Buson.  Their work is still the model of haiku writing today. They were poets who wandered the countryside, experiencing life and observing nature, and spent years perfecting their craft.

Here are two examples of the haiku of Basho Matsuo, the first great poet of haiku in the 1600s:
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

Lightning flash—
what I thought were faces
are plumes of pampas grass.

CHALLENGE: Write your own haiku
Bragging rights for most interesting and intriguing haiku!!


40 comments:

  1. This is a Haiku
    You are reading this Haiku
    This Haiku is done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please come and save me
    Help me because I am trapped
    I am in kid jail

    http://www.howmanysyllables.com/words/trapped just so that you know that trapped is one syllable

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cherries are at bloom
    long and cold winter is gone
    spring starting to rise

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a loonie
    Elizebeth is on heads
    Loon is on tails side

    ReplyDelete
  5. Born in Canada
    China is my other home
    Which one should I choose

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to play sports
    soccer, basketball and more
    Oh, you play sports too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doing fractions test
    I think this test is easy
    There, I am finished

    ReplyDelete
  8. Summer is now here
    school is gone, we are happy
    summer vacation

    ReplyDelete
  9. sitting in class now
    I am bored out of my skull
    Cant wait for summer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ritchie should stop posting
    He is spamming the whole site
    "Ritchie you should stop"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rememberance day
    All the fallen veterens
    now we wear poppies

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope this is good
    I spent time on this Haiku
    Did I win contest

    ReplyDelete
  13. no competition
    I have for sure won this match
    Bow down to the lord

    ReplyDelete
  14. no hoods in the school
    so nobody wears their hood
    but I broke the rules

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mrs. Fairbarn is mad
    Their netbooks are going "ding"
    Let's send a Haiku

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haiku's are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    California

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a great chef

    food, food, food, food, food, food, food

    and one more time food

    ReplyDelete
  18. I dont like homework
    too much homework is boring
    so I bribe teachers

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm devastated
    Haiku Fever is over
    time to say good bye

    ReplyDelete
  20. First, caterpillar
    Then, a beautiful cocoon
    Fly up butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  21. The snow falling down
    Gracefully dancing around
    The sky, filled with white

    ReplyDelete
  22. You see illusions
    I am not actually here
    Just my reflection

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am your father
    Says the dark space lord, Darth Vader
    Cuts off his right hand

    ReplyDelete
  24. Last one had too many
    This has just right syllables
    Here is the good one


    I am your father
    Says the dark lord, Darth Vader
    Cuts off his right hand

    ReplyDelete
  25. A concrete jungle
    With towers so high will fall
    Will leave us with none

    ReplyDelete
  26. Live in Canada
    Snow falls every single day
    Lets build a snowman

    ReplyDelete
  27. I enjoy soccer
    Play in a league and with friends
    Best sport in the world

    ReplyDelete
  28. Striker shoots the ball
    Flies over the pro goalie
    Bounces off the post...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Leaves dance in the wind
    Colours splattered everywhere
    Smells of apple pie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Chainsaws chopped trees down
    Animals have to move out
    Nowhere left to go

    ReplyDelete
  31. My computer broke
    Why did I download virus
    At least no surveys

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thinking about jobs
    I want to be a walrus
    Feed me more fish please

    ReplyDelete
  33. I want some pasta
    Pasta's very delicious
    Yum, I want some more

    ReplyDelete
  34. Enter Your Comment
    Thinking what should I put in
    Maybe this haiku?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Mr. Cow passed gas
    "POP" there's some of his great work
    He likes to show off

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fat man sees small door
    He attempts to walk through, "BANG"
    Fat man, he fits not

    ReplyDelete
  37. I have a bad wife,
    "SHHHHHHHHH" I'm always way too loud
    "OW!" She slaps me hard

    ReplyDelete
  38. Haiku's are easy
    "SWOOSH" They don't always make sense
    Aba, Dibadoo

    ReplyDelete
  39. Sitting here writing
    Noah has a weird finger
    Harith is grossed out

    ReplyDelete